Monday, March 5, 2012

Bias tape: binding an inverted corner.

 For the Ooh La La Pin-Up Sew-Along we just finished binding our top and bottom corset edges. If you want to know how to get a sharp point (as opposed to a softer, rounded look) on the inverted corner in the center panel, here's a good technique to try.


My practice corner, an exact copy of the inverted corner in the corset center panel.
This will involve sewing a pre-made corner into your binding so measure out the binding you need for the bottom first (then add two 'in case of error inches" to that.)
I suggest making a practice piece first like I have here to test out and get comfortable with the idea. 




Before I started with my satin binding (notoriously difficult to work with) I tried this with a small length of cotton binding and it worked great. We're technically creating an exact replica of the angle in the fabric, with our bias tape.


First, at the center of your binding fold it in half, wrong sides out, and press.

My evil satin bias tape.
 Lay the fabric to be bound over the folded bias tape.


 Mark your fabric angle onto the folded bias tape. I used a disappearing fabric marker.



Pin the fold in place so that it doesn't shift or bunch on you while it's being sewn. 



Stitch along your markings, back stitching in place at the edges and then trim away the excess at the fold.



When you trim away the point of the bias binding, it should be the same angle as your inverted corner to be bound. 



Open your bias tape and press. 


Then you can sew on the binding. I prefer to do this by hand as a point is tricky to sew under the best of circumstances. On this piece, I did it with a machine and it came out sort of messy (sorry, still running low on my sleep).



Voila! Any questions?

4 comments:

  1. This is genius, I wish I had known this a few projects ago, but am glad to apply it to my corselet (whet I get that far . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Anna- this technique is great, and worked like a charm! I too am using sating bias, and even with it's inherent evils this made it look great. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was *really* stumbling over buying this pattern in the etsy shop when I came across it a few days ago. I've been sitting, staring at it, drooling. Then I read further and discovered the link to your corset tute. I have to tell you that it is THIS tute, complete with whiskey-drinking (though I prefer Scotch, whiskey is a FAB substitute :) !) and the accompanying concise instructions, clear photos and detailed tips that have convinced me to buy the pattern. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am now a new loyal follower of yours here and on Pinterest, too. Can't wait for Payday (Friday) and to browse your site and pinterest to see what other surprises you have in store. Much gratitude from Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that you've found my blog! Welcome to the group, darlin', we're glad to have you join!

      Delete