Friday, December 9, 2011

Modes et Travaux ~ December, 1949

Today for your eye candy super happy fun time I have pictures of the very best that  Modes et Travaux had to offer in fashion, sewing, and hand work in December of 1949.

I was elated to win this edition on ebay because the cover is a beautiful sketch of a creation by none other then Christian Dior.

A white evening gown by Dior with the illustration by Artist Pierre Mourgue.

Does it get any better? Does it? Nope. Ah this dress, the stuff of dreams. I immediately set out to find photographs of it, and I'm still not sure I have the same dress but here is a photo of a Dior gown from 1949:
Lillian Bassman, Fantasy on the dance floor, Barbara Mullen, dress by Christian Dior, Paris, 1949. photo courtesy Phillips de Pury & Company
There isn't anything in the actual magazine about the design on the cover (what?!) so moving on we can see the lovely full-page advertisements that the magazine starts out with.




And then we are told what to wear for every winter occasion. I hate that I can't just go out and buy these anymore. Was anyone else born in the completely wrong decade?





I hope you enjoyed these as much as I did.
Is there any one vintage fashion item that you wish you could just go out and buy at your local mall? For me, it would be lovely fur trimmed sweaters with beaded details.

2 comments:

  1. wow! Such amazing sketches!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many beautiful details in these clothes! The double collar, the layered panels on the skirt. And can you imagine looking so elegant while skiing?
    Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete