Saturday, November 19, 2011

Longing for more fur in my life

Living in this cold, icy, god-forsaken winter wonderland of a country has led to a bone deep need for warm, comforting, and fluffy accessories. Some of my go-to wardrobe choices include a hand beaded wool scarf, vintage fur detachable collars, fur lined boots, and various mink and ermine neck warmers. l'm sure you can see where this is going.


With this season in fashion adding fur touches nearly everywhere, it has become glaringly obvious that I need to add a fur purse to my arsenal of accessories.
I had a brief debate with myself over sewing or buying one but it all boiled down to the fact that I have enough sewing projects on my plate as it is.

So I set out on the hunt and I thought that I would share some of my favorites with you.
I was really in love with this mink bag but let's face it, a military wife just can't go and spend $349 on a purse.
So I started looking at vintage and my options got a bit less expensive...until they got more expensive when I stumbled across Hopcotch  Couture and their AMAZING upcycled purses:

Hopscotch Couture



Hopscotch Couture
Swoooooon.
By this point I started sorting my searches by price, lowest first for my own safety, and still there were some great finds. Like this 1920's purse that has rabbit fur sewn into channels to resemble a tiger print.
Lapine Ours Vintage
This antique Parisian beaver purse is an amazing find but I would never feel comfortable carrying it around... I would be too scared of hurting it.

Yonks
And then I found this sweet little baby and it was love at first sight.

Vintage4Creations
This little beauty by Vintage4Creations is made from fabric that was up-cycled from a vintage coat and a vintage scrap of mink. It's perfect! Plus I get to pass some business on to a fellow seamstress and vintage lover. It's the perfect solution. Not to mention this purse is roomy. It will have room for my tablet, umbrella, wallet, and a dozen other things I can't leave the house without.

Want one? I bought the one above of course but she has a couple more in other colors, at really great prices so check them out before they're all gone!
Vintage4Creations
Vintage4Creations
Now I just need to snag some fur edged gloves and I'll be set.

9 comments:

  1. The one you got is PERFECT! I love the blue one with the bow brooch, too. I also am a big fan of vintage fur. I have three winter coats with big fluffy fur collars and a vintage mink stole. My "dressy" coat is black curly lamb with a mink collar and I got it at a thrift shop for $13. Best find of my life.

    Fur lined boots sound amazing and so luxurious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoooooo, I'm a fur fan, but living here in Missouri, USA, we have about 3 days a year when it's a sensible choice. 70 degrees + today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your disregard for life is very disturbing to me and I will be unsubscribing now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I really love the blue one! Have a fab time carrying around your new purse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous
    I'm sorry you feel that way, anonymous. If it makes you feel any better, I would never skin and wear my cat just because he's soft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought 3/4 yard of beautiful fake chinchilla I cant wait to bust out! I have a beautiful beaver coat I bought in Santa Fe 10 years ago but Im afraid to wear it because some guy yelled at me for wearing it!like your commenter above...plus it never gets very cold in so california.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I'll have to show you the elbow length leather gloves with fur trim that I just snagged for $6!! I don't know about the look of fur purses but I do love the tactile sensation of fur so it is a way to keep it by you even when it is too warm for fur apparel. I'm sorry that fur posts always attract vitriol, but I think you are actually showing an ethical use of fur in that those etsy sellers are recycling materials that would be otherwise thrown away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a tasteful way to add a bit of fur to your wardrobe! The purse is just charming, and it's perfect that it gave you the opportunity to find what you wanted without breaking the bank.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Using vintage fur actually helps preserve the lives of animals. Reuse and respect given and a desire for fur fulfilled.....Marelle

    ReplyDelete