Friday, March 11, 2011

Without further ado...

I give you the lovely slip that I finally got pictures of. It's really hard to take quality blog photos when your current country of residence has some sort of sunshine deficiency. Hurrah for one day of sun!
Mike went out of town for the weekend  and while he as gone I took advantage of the fact that I can't sleep when he's gone and whipped this baby up over night. It took about 5 or 6 hours maybe.
I made this using the most divine satin I've ever had my hands on. It's 100% rayon crepe back and feels like heaven.
Wrinkles like the devil, though.
I had fun doing the gathers at the bust which I find rather advantageous with a figure that has a boob deficiency. For this little beauty I used Simplicity 1144. From the envelope: "Misses' and Women's Slip and Panties: A top-stitched inset joins the softly gathered upper front to the bias-cut lower front. The upper back, shaped in a V at the lower edge, is top-stitched to the bias-cut lower back."
Simplicity 1144.


This little darling is from 1944. It was very easy to sew and the instructions were clear with great illustrations. One thing I changed was instead of using bias tape to finish the top edges, I drafted and cut my own front and back facing pieces.

For some reason my bias taped edges in satin always come out looking lumpy and I wanted to make sure that a construction flaw like that didn't detract from the lovely design of this pattern. I think I made the right choice.

I got the fabric from fabric.com... who sadly has stopped carrying this one. (I'm going to email them and see if they can get more because I've never enjoyed working with a fabric so much.)
Oh, and of course, Vincent helped.

3 comments:

  1. Just Lovely. I appreciate the accuracy that you used in the gathers at the bodice. Not always an easy feat. It is amazing how rayon will melt out it's wrinkles if you hang it in the bathroom while taking a shower. A trick I learned while on the road, desperate for a steamer for my treasured clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I've just stumbled upon your blog =)
    That fabric is beautiful, and so is the pattern. I'd love to see the version with the lace edges too.

    By the way, your cat is utterly adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe, thanks so much for your comment! my inspiration for this slip was actually a vintage one that looked a lot like the pattern that was in black satin with lovely black lace. It's still one of my favorite slips.

    ReplyDelete