Sunday, May 25, 2014

Make Beautiful Things... by Urban Threads


Happy weekend, my dears readers!
I'm currently riding the high of a finished project. My last project, finishing my 1930's bra, went so well that I thought I would do some more needlework. I think it's becoming a rather nice therapy for me.
This month I worked on a great embroidery pattern by Urban Threads, whose patterns I just can't seem to get enough of.
The pattern I used is Make Beautiful Things, which by the way, just happens to be on sale right now!

50 cents!!!!!!!!


Urban Threads Patterns come in two formats, designed for hand embroidery and for machine embroidery - both of which come as instant downloads just like my patterns. The patterns are usually rather elaborate (which I like because they're super time consuming) and can take quite a bit of time to trace and transfer onto your fabric. But boy, is it worth it!

Lookit what I made! I know, I have some practicing to do.

This is now hanging over my drafting table as a cheerful reminder that I love my job because I get to help other people make beautiful things.

Months ago I used another Urban Threads pattern to embroider this for a friend back in Norway (who is famous there for her amazing cakes and cupcakes).

Made using this pattern by Urban Threads.

And up next for me on my embroidery to-do list is a little something for my kitchen:

Death before Decaf by Urban Threads.

If you're into embroidery, or you're interested in giving it a try, I definitely recommend Urban Threads' patterns.
But what about you? Do you embroider? Do you use your own designs, hunt for great vintage embroidery transfers, or do you have a favorite source for your patterns?

Just one more thing before I head outside to weed my garden. As some of my might have seen on my facebook page earlier this week, a colleague of mine just lost her husband and is as devastated as you might imagine (there has been too much loss, lately!). 
Many of you know how crippling funerals can be financially so if you'd like to do some good today, her Etsy shop is still up and running (a welcome distraction, I know from experience). If you're pattern hungry, you might like to stop by her shop, Stitching By Numbers.

And thanks so much to those of you who did already- you are absolute gems and I'm honored to have such kindhearted readers! 



7 comments:

  1. I've sewn a few Urban Threads designs in the past, but haven't down any stitching for ages. Your enthusiasm is catching though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the cupcake embroidery you made for me! It's hanging in my new shop now and I get compliments on it all the time. Thank you again for such a lovely and thoughtful gift! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been telling people lately that I just want to "make beautiful things!" So I love your embroidery :) I've actually been doing a lot of embroidery lately because it is easy to do for just a few minutes since that is all the free time I seem to have right now. I just search pinterest for images and turn them into what I want to embroider, as well as a bit of free hand drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Urban Threads Too! They are an off shoot of Embroidery Library. Both offer free designs every month. Embroidery Library doesn't deal in hand embroidery though...

    Anna, thank you for promoting Anne's shop. I spoke to her Saturday and she is still in a fog and not eating much.

    As for embroidery, I have scans of these awesome retro transfers that I sold a couple of years ago. I couldn't bear to give them up completely! https://www.flickr.com/photos/retromonkeys/sets/72157630671221586/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Anna, you are so sweet to do this for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete