Friday, April 18, 2014

Back to Blogging with a Sew Expensive... Simplicity 2229

It has been a very strange month. Recently I have been able to get back to working a bit and have found it a very welcome distraction from... everything else.
I've been trying to figure out how to ease myself back into blogging next but - this being my first experience with this kind of life-altering grief - I didn't have the foggiest idea of how to do it. When is too soon? Do I have anything worth writing? Can I even sit still at a computer that long without dissolving into a puddle of tears? Do my readers really want to be depressed to death?

As with some things, ripping the band-aid off is, I think, the only way to do it. But I am starting easy. A nice, happy Sew Expensive post should do nicely.



These posts always make me happy. Shopping for patterns is a fantastic coping mechanism and last month, as I was trying to take my mind off of other horrors, I turned to Ebay for all of the lovely distractions offered there.

This one I bookmarked because it was just too pretty not to talk about. Simplicity 2229 recently sold on Ebay for an uncomfortable, yet relatively reasonable $157.64.


Was it worth it? Well, yes and no. There's always the debate of a pattern being worth what one person is willing to pay for it. And sure, if you're more interested in say, making a reproduction of the dress, then why not? But from a pattern collector/ seller standpoint, the sad condition of the envelope has me shaking my head and mouthing a big "Nope."

Yes it's quite rare, obviously this pattern doesn't come up for sale very often, but if you just want to sew a dress, then I think The Vintage Pattern Lending Library or another pattern reproduction company would be your best bet.
I think about the value of gown patterns more in depth about once a year - usually when the date of the next Air Force ball gets announced to all and sundry.
And were I to make a gown, and not use one of my own personal collection, or one of the gown patterns from Mrs. Depew Vintage, then VPLL would be the way to go. And if I had to choose, I would choose this beauty:

McCall 7595 Pattern Reproduction by The Vintage Pattern Lending Library.

At the fantastic price of $17.50, wouldn't you agree?
And if I may ask, what is the most you've ever spent on a sewing pattern, and why?
For me, it was to get my hands on one of my much sought Simplicity S-Series patterns, and I spent $105. Shhh, don't tell my husband!


9 comments:

  1. Honestly, it's amazing how high vintage patterns can sell for. I think $50 is my cut off and really I'd never spend that much to own a vintage pattern. Why bother when I can just draft it for free. I guess if you really want the experience of making the dress from that pattern using the old fashion techniques it could be worth it, but I'd rather spend that kind of money on shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I love the vintage styles --have yet to sew any thouigh-- but I am surprised when I see the high price of vintage patterns. I'm wondering if they are just collector's items with no intent to be used. Like Chococat, if I found a vintage style I really liked, I would draft it using my computerized software. I guess I am not a vintage purist.

      Delete
  2. I can imagine a lot of other things I'd do with $150...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grief is hard and not constant - take your time, be nice to yourself (i.e. don't judge yourself on happy days) and it will ebb. Big hug x as for these patterns - gorgeous. Thank you for pointing out the library. Such a great resource. I've seen a pattern I *love* but it's £50 and I'm dithering.... But can't stop thinking about it! Rachel ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big believer in getting deals on patterns. I think the most I've ever spent on a vintage pattern is around $30 but mostly I like to stay in the $10-12 range.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Anna, I hope that you can find peace soon. It will take a long time as I know from my experience in losing my father at age 13. I still think about him and miss him, but life must go on. It's good to know you are starting in on your hobbies again. I agree with crafty traveller whole heartedly on this. I think the most I spent on a pattern was $26.00. I'm still aghast over that amount as I have not made that pattern yet. Please let me know that if I sent you my experiment for making your own replacement pattern envelope, if you could try it and tell me how it works for you, you can have it free of charge. It's in PDF format finally. Thank you for sharing your patterns. Kathy G.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous dresses - both the pricey one and the $17.50 one! I'm glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see you back! :)
    Honestly, I can't remember what the most expensive pattern I've purchased was, but not being a true collector I can say that it probably wasn't very expensive ($30+ Canadian, which would be about, what... $10 American? *LOL*) Seriously, though, I love the patterns I have purchased (although there are a few I'm looking to sell someday as they were part of a bundle that I purchased for the one or two that I loved) - love the artwork, love the style of clothing that I could make from the pattern, and in that vein I'm a huge sucker for interesting details! Things like sleeve fashioning or construction you just do not see in today's fashions.

    I have to agree, though, $157 for that wonderful pattern would be too much for me, not including the poor state of the envelope. Perhaps the buyer was fairly new to this like I am...?

    Big hug to you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it IS wonderful to see you back, and, I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart is truly with you.

    Thanks for the vpll nod - it's really nice to know were kindred spirits rather than business competitors... I always recommend your patterns when I have customers who request PDF's. I know the quality you present so I'm never hesitant when giving your name. I've gotta get into this century one of these days for sure! :)

    Stay focused - it's good to dive into new projects. It's wonderful therapy, I know. Let me know if you need any support, I'm with you.
    Many hugs, Dee

    ReplyDelete