Sunday, September 4, 2011

Fluffy pillows and sexy guns.

I just finished my most recent project last night. The plan is to make some super sexy silk dupioni pillows with gun appliques but first I needed to practice on less expensive, easier fabric.
My test run on the gun applique went so well that I had to actually make it into a pillow. For this one I used micro-suede from fabric.com.


I had toyed with the idea of making it into a purse instead, but after the mass shooting here in Norway, I don't think the locals would respond so positively to anything with a gun on it. Luckily I had the right stuff, a pillow form, and a great futon in the next room to keep it in. (These will be nicely tucked away in my house where my American friends can appreciate them.)

I also had this great old heavy duty zipper from a bunch of vintage notions my awesome mother sent home with me.

From there I experimented a bit, and this is what I ended up with.



Playing with French seams on the inside was a must. I'll need them to prevent fraying and loose threads when I start making these up in silk.



Vincent likes to pop into any and all shots he can, and add his two cents. Here he's screaming FREEZE!



So when my silk gets here I'll have quite the project on my hands. I think I'll be making maybe 4 or 5 of these babies. This was a really fun project, by the way. If any of you want a tutorial on applique, just leave me a comment and I'll pop one together!

0 comments:

Post a Comment