Friday, July 29, 2011

What I've been up to...

I realize that it's been about 2 months since I've actually posted about something I've sewed. Mostly that's because I spent nearly a month in the States visiting friends and family, and the last 3 weeks have been completely devoted to a custom project with a deadline for a friend. (More on that later.)

The last few two days I've been taking it extremely easy, and I've discovered what a difference following the doc's orders to rest has made on my broken rib (long, embarrassing story which I'm keeping to myself). Of course, by taking it easy, I mean sitting at the computer digitizing a new vintage pattern, and then sewing it myself to make sure I got it right.

So, without much further ado, what I've been working on, Advance 3975:


I have been working on turning the bikini bra top and shorts into a pdf, and sewing it myself.


So far I have the bra top done and I'm pretty happy, having taken it in quite a bit from the original 38" size to fit my nearly non-existent 34" bust.


I know I look rather flat in this picture, but let's face it, nothin's ever gonna make me look busty unless it's attached to a scalpel and a medical degree.


What I did different from the pattern? I just cut two extra strap pieces from my contrasting red cotton (which I'm using to make the matching shorts) and used them to edge the top and bottom before threading the strap through the center.


The pdf for the bra top and shorts can be found in my etsy shop. Up next, I'll be showing pictures of the shorts, if I can ever manage to get the zipper in straight.
Also, I'm curious, readers. Have you ever used a pdf printable pattern before? If so what did you like about it? And if you could have me make a pdf of a pattern, what pattern would it be and why?

Also, check out this great vintage pattern being given away at My Happy Sewing Place!

3 comments:

  1. Looking very cute - good luck with the shorts.

    I have yet to use a pdf pattern (and haven't tried major resizing...) but I do think pdfs are a great idea for vintage patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great on you - you have the perfect shape to wear something like this. The added red contrast really makes this top more fun, especially if it is going to match the shorts.

    I've used a few PDF patterns - its a love/hate relationship. I love that you can print it out more than once and keep all sizes. It's also great that you can store it on your computer and not add to a stash pile in your house. I hate that my printer is on the fritz and it "eats" most pages while trying to print them. (Okay, most wouldn't have this problem). Taping the pattern together can be a pain, especially on a larger pattern - but usually it's not too terrible.

    You have put out a lot of cute pdf patterns lately - and I would love to see more. You mentioned that you enjoy lingerie patterns, maybe a cute slip or something would be a great next pattern.

    ReplyDelete