Sunday, September 10, 2017

Sew Expensive... A 1935 Evening Gown McCall 8476


Hello my dears. This is going to surprise you. Yet another beautiful 1930s evening gown pattern has sold on eBay for more than $12. I'll bet you never saw that coming...

I'm a bit behind on getting this pattern posted but a little while back, McCall 8476 sold at auction for a delightfully shocking $810.99.


The listing photos don't show the copyright date but I estimate this one to be circa 1935.
And after a quick internet search, maybe the highest bidders knew something about this one that the rest of us didn't?

Image from Pinterest.

...that's right, kids, this one was designed after a Patou gown.

Now let's talk about that seam gathering at the front hips. I remember shopping for pants with my mom when I was a teenager. Something that really stuck in my head was her advice that one never wanted to draw attention to one's crotch area if it can be helped. She explained how some pants would crinkle oddly in the front area and as she'd point it out, her face would form a grimace, a crinkling around her lips as she pinched them in disapproval at a pair of pants. The expression was rather similar to the unwanted fabric puckering, now that I think of it...

And on my dear Mama's advice, I could never walk out of my house in a dress with such unfortunately positioned gathers. I have to say, Patou, darling, I'll have to pass on this one...

Now, if you'd like to see a dress that Patou absolutely nailed just a few years earlier by drawing attention to the dècolletage rather than the hips, look no further than McCall 5840, circa 1929.
How about you? Which of these gowns is more your style?

Happy sewing,


9 comments:

  1. 5840 definitely - it's a smoother, more linear look

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd modify the first Patou gown and remove the unfortunate gathers/tucks.

    Drusilla Barron

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 1930s one is much more me, but I would omit the crotch enhancing gathers! The rest of the gown is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, definitely the 1930's one - with those unfortunate gathers drafted out! I think I'd cut the front of the skirt as one smooth piece. I love the sleeves gathered into the back neckband! The 1920's column line just doesn't work on my figure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anna,

    I just purchased some of your patterns from you Etsy store and had some questions about some other patterns. I sent a few messages through the Etsy platform, but I haven’t heard back from you. Just wondering if there is a better way to contact you? Thank you,

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mom's debutant dress (1935)was very similar to this, except it had no sleeves and no ruches in front. I always thought it was the sexiest dress ever, due to the way it hugged the hips and flared out after that, as well as the sexy top part. It was made in off-white satin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Mom's top was like the red dress, not the balck, and back like pink dress, both without sleeves.

      Delete
  7. This place is perfect for any kind of night you're looking for. In the downstairs area at the event venues, you can enjoy a lounge setting while talking over drinks with a small party. Or, if you're looking to mingle or have a bite to eat, you can head upstairs.

    ReplyDelete