Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sew French... March, 1956 and a free purse pattern!

Today for you my dear readers, I have several lovely images from the March 18, 1956 edition of Le Petit Echo de la Mode.

"I just love to get cozy with my book, leaning on random furniture!"

The pages were so fun that I just had to share them with you.


Always included were the fashion pages advertising sewing patterns you could mail order, a bit like the old McCall's Magazine. Ah, fashion from 57 years ago. What a treat!

Pretty Spring Prints!
 I just love the colorful spring prints contrasting with solids in these outfits. Wouldn't you love to be able to find fabrics like the ones illustrated in these skirts?

Don't you just want to copy this lovely embroidery!
And let's not forget the sexy Elizabeth Taylor-style slip one would wear underneath!




 And last but not least, the purse to go with the whole ensemble! You can make your own following this great pattern included in the magazine. I believe that the scale for these diagrams are set in 1 cm squares.

Bon Week-end à vous!




8 comments:

  1. Oh, what lovely pictures! I like the combination of printed skirts with a uni bodice, too. Thanks for sharing with us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the blue dress with the polka dot collar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a throwback. I love how everything was so thought out and put together. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These illustrations are really lovely. The fabrics were so great back then. Thank you so much for sharing this with us! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: Pic 1 - I've had a couple magazines that got read like that, basically on my way between car and kitchen when I got home!
    Pic 2 - does the blue-gingham jumper remind anyone else of Judy Garland in Wizard of Oz (I may be influenced by the fact that her dress in the *book* was blue gingham, not pink . . . )
    Pic 3 - I need to make a gray linen dress with a striped jacket, like the one in the upper RH corner - such a nice color combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Anna, after having purchased a stunning pattern from your shop recently, I now found your blog as well! And what a treasure it is! Vintage inspiration at its best! I just love these designs, and I hope I find some more time (and lose some of my pregnancy-left-over-extra-kilos) to sew more vintage items for me. I am mostly sewing for children, mine and those of customers, but there are some lovely vintage patters waiting to be realized... :-)

    Thanks for all the beautiful posts! Kind regards from Switzerland, Doris

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so lovely thank you for sharing
    Ann

    ReplyDelete